This post currently has: 25 responses...
I don’t advocate the current outbreak of mass spying in America or countries abroad, but given the current financial crisis that most nations are facing, and the availability of information technology that crosses multi-national borders, the situation, although regrettable, isn’t surprising.
In America, we’ve seen an upsurge in ‘white collar crime’ and a big-business climate that operates more like an oppressive corporate communist state, where its workers are considered expendable, if they don’t fall in line with whatever corporate-culture their particular company espouses too, while these same corporations claims of acting in the interests of the consumer are often patently ‘false’ and dubious at best.
I don’t know the particulars surrounding the Eric Snowden debacle, but as an American casualty of a system that was supposed to protect my rights, I can bet, and with a fair amount of accuracy, about the ‘circumstances’ that precipitated Mr. Snowden’s disclosure, and the subsequent events that forced him to seek asylum in another county.
The sad reality, in the wake of 9/11, with the obfuscation of the rights and freedoms of an entire nation, even in all its glory, its land, sea, and the very air its inhabitants breathe, has come under fire, while the controlling stockholders of major corporations and associated entities, security firms, and their legal representatives have monopolized entire markets, usurped national and international laws, and exerted undue influence in all sectors of society, whether by disregard or omission, and thus have operated their businesses with impunity and with total disregard for the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
As a result, Americans are experiencing the loss of their basic freedoms, and many of those who work for major corporations have experienced and continue to experience increasingly oppressive work environments in which corporate policies are used as guide wires to place blame on the employees, and then transformed into a hangman’s noose as soon as the CEO or board-members are caught cheating.
I’ve grown weary of the mudslinging, and the penchant politicians and corporations have for pointing their fingers in blame, and I suppose there’s a method to their madness as it’s easier to find someone else to blame (anyone will do) rather than addressing the difficult issues as a matter of principle, and thus being held actionable for ‘the greater good’.
Given the prevailing corporate and political atmosphere, where the top 1% have been given a license to steal while largely ignoring the other 99 % of the population, it’s no wonder people like Eric Snowden are being persecuted, the real question is why?
I don’t think we’ve seen the end of this, I think it’s just the beginning.
Information has become the ‘new currency’ in America. No, I don’t appreciate having my privacy invaded, but the Snowden affair appears to have leveled the playing field, and once the dust settles, I’d like to think the emerging picture will be truer to life.
It’s a new place to start, and an opportunity to ‘get it right’ this time.
——————–Contribute any amount of money towards the continued production and promotion of our music, writings, or services and receive a permanent "producer" 'credit' (any dollar amount).